Friday, February 03, 2006

How to keep yarn clean while working

Thoughts while watching Survivor:
-What's up with this transportation. Survivors should not travel in the lap of luxury - by their own sweat only.
-Cool "idol" treatment. Looking forward to see how that plays out.
-Until the last challenge my money was on the older men. After the challenge I was questioning my bet.

I began my day care career with the knowledge that I would not be racking in the dough. This was not the issue for me. What was was service: filling a need in the lives of families.

Having grown up in a small community, I knew the special needs of rural families. So despite my desire to kick over the traces and enjoy urban life, I heeded the call to begin my career in a rural day care.

Living accommodations where few. Thankfully, an elderly couple had a spare bedroom to rent. I moved in.

Margaret was of English ancestry. Ingie from Icelandic. Mirroring my parents. I felt at home. They were warm, generous people. Quickly Margaret and I discovered that we shared a passion: knitting. In fact, it was Margaret who passed on the secret I will share with you today.

To generalize, people who were born during the 30s are frugal. They make do: using their creativity to create what they require from what they have instead of buying new.

So Margaret taught me to create a yarn container from what I had on hand. The container sheilds my yarn keeping it clean and preventing it from rolling away.
The first step is to select a suitable container. Frozen yogurt, yogurt, icecream containers work as well. The key is to find a container that has a plastic lid.
Second cut a triangular shape in the lid.
If you are working with colours you can cut more triangles in the lid.

The last step is to place your yarn ball in the container. Draw the yarn through the hole.



Don't have a suitable container. The next method I discovered myself. Don't get too excited I am sure I am not the first to use it.
A yarn ball in a zip lock bag.

Tomorrow: Defining knitting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home