Wednesday, February 01, 2006

The Reader's Digest version

January decided to go out the way it came in. 90 kilometre winds cancelled ferry service and shut off the lights. Now the rage has subsided and we have sunny breaks.

I trashed Canadiana... Okay, allow me to explain.

My Mom did not hide her distain for the mess that lurked in our basement: "We are going to die under this pile of junk. Why do we have to have boxes and boxes of garbag. Oh, that man and his unending mess."

So one day when Mom and Dad where away I decided to find a solution. My plan was to ruthlessly attack each box. I found boxes and boxes of dated Reader's Digests. Who needs them? Yet my goal was not to throw away anything of value. So I tore out pages and pages of interesting articles. I was surprised to see that some of the magazines dated as far back as 1927 and yet looked new. Still I tore. I had worked my way through the enitre collection before Mom and Dad came home. Looking back now, over twenty odd years, I am amazed at how calm my Dad was. No screaming. No blaming. Only peaceful, calm acceptance.

I still find interesting articles in Reader's Digest. A quick glisp at the February 2006's issue revealed two. The first has helped me to accept my body fat. Most of us have "trouble" areas. Mine are my thighs. According to Reader's Digest leg fat protects against heart disease. Bring on the peanut butter cookies.

The second article is a contest for Canadian woman to submit articles or photos to a new magazine. Check it out: www.rd.ca/canadianwoman I encourage you to enter. I have.

Tomorrow: Exile Island

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home