Monday, January 30, 2006

Taking your knitting for a spin

Read the essay Tales of a Knitting Neophyte which is one of a collection included in For the Love of Knitting A Celebration of the Knitter's Art In the essay, Kari Cornell laments that, having never knit, all she really wanted was yarn and needles. She was overwhelmed by the idea of actually having to select a pattern. Had she asked me I would have encouraged her to stick with the yarn and needles. Play with them. Make them her own.

"How do you decide what to buy if you don't have a pattern to guide your purchase?" The answer: go with what feels comfortable. My personal preference is a medium size needle and then of course you would buy a medium weight yarn to accompany it.

It may sound strange for a knitwear designer to advise against buying a pattern. However, I know the charm of the yarn. You see when I began to knit I would amaze family and friends by knitting for hours only to cheerfully frog (rip apart) the entire creation. At that early stage, it was the process not the product that was key for me. This resulted in fine, near-prefect tension. It lead to a life long passion for knitting "things".

So by all means take your knitting out for a spin. I, your humble knitwear designer, will be here when you need me.

Meanwhile, I will take my electric bike out for a spin. Thankfully,Mother Nature decided to calm down and shower us with sunshine.
It's about the journey not the destination.

Tomorrow: Olavia's monthly pattern club.
Happy Muharram! Muharram is the first year of the Islamic new year. Learn more about this important day by logging on to this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muharram

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home