Monday, March 05, 2007

Reading your knitting

If it was possible for me to knit the double moss stitch section in one session my life would be so much easier. Unfortunately this goal is unattainable. I must lay down my knitting. It is an unavoidable necessity. As I return to my knitting I am greeted by one unavoidable question, "Where was I?"
The double moss stitch pattern is...
Row 1 & 2: *knit 2, purl 2 - continue from * to end of row.
Row 3 & 4: *purl 2, knit 2 - continue from * to end of row.
Repeat rows for pattern.
Am I on row one? or two? or three? or four?
Am I about to purl? or knit?

The wise may say, "Write a reminder on a sticky note and stick the note on your knitting."
Or they may advise, "End at the same point of the stitch pattern each time. Say for example, after completing the fourth row."
Good advise. My failure to take it has helped develop a new skill. I can now read my knitting. Although, not as entertaining or revealing as reading tea leaves nevertheless useful. So how is it done?
Bend thy ear (or eye), my friend and I will reveal all.

As I hope you can see from this picture, my knitting is littered with a series of mountains and valleys. The mountains are knots of purl stitches. The valleys are groupings of knit stitches.
Reading knitting requires one to be observant and to proceed with caution. You need to be able to identify the stitches and to count them carefully. It is possible to make a mistake but soon your error will be apparent.
It is easier to follow the sage advise of the wise. However, failing that reading your knitting is an option.
Happy knitting

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home