Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Eating chocolate...or not

Okay, it's confession time. I have an overwhelming sweet tooth. I know it is the reason I gain weight. I know there are not many benefits to eating sweets. Strangely, this knowledge does not often lead me to refuse sweets.
Hubby, knowing my weakness, recently bought me a box of chocolates. Chocolates wrapped around Cheri. Your teeth sink into the sweet chocolate and then discover the splash of Cheri. Luxury. Trouble was they didn't last long enough. No matter how careful I was -- or thought I was -- the chocolates are now gone.
When you are thoroughly enjoying something it is easy to be lulled into a false sense of security blissfully unaware of the dangers.
I love this knitting: two strands of smooth wool with one strand of hairy mohair. The plan unfolded as I knit. I would knit the 4 x 4 rib in the three strands then when I got to the double moss stitch I would switch to two stands.

It's it lovely? It's it wonderful?
Trouble is (the danger that lurked) that I made my calculations based on the three strands. I had finished the front before I thought maybe I should measure to make sure that it will indeed fit. I have knit wonderful sweaters for others in the past. Sweaters that I wanted to wear. So wishing to avoid this fate I measured. Sure enough the top half of the sweater was two inches smaller than what I was intending. No matter how I wished it was not true. Three strand minus one strands is two not three. Go figure? So I did what I must. I frogged the top half. It now waits patiently on my needles.
Here's a brief list of possible solutions...
1) increase the top half by twenty stitches.
2)add another strand of wool and continue in the double moss stitch.
3) simply continue working in the 4 x 4 rib stitch using the wool and hairy mohair.
What would you do?
Tomorrow: Kissing "Playful" good-bye. End of sale and the new patterns begin to spring up on my web site. ...all being well.

1 Comments:

Blogger Donna D said...

Increase. That way you can get the size you want without making the fabric heavier and bulkier.

7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home