Monday, February 19, 2007

How I breathe

So just where have I been all morning?
Did I take a day off like Alberta and Saskatchewan?
No, sadly, in B.C. it's just another Monday. Well, not quite here in my studio it is exciting. You see, I am working on some new designs for spring/summer. Each little stop along the road to a new garment has its moments of excitement. For me, the closer I get to a finished garment the more intense my excitement grows. Today I finished the back and front. Currently I am working on the sleeves and collar. Here's a peek at the front.

I "discovered" a new stitch pattern for the design. Or at least a stitch pattern that I haven't seen in any stitch pattern book.
Even more excitement if that's not enough. I am almost finished Yarn Therapy...for the third time.
You see I have been very fortunate with the help I have received on the book. The first time I received the manuscript back from my editor I got into a conversation with the owner of my favourite yarn shop. She advised me to add instructions on finishing the accessories. So this I did.
With the second finished manuscript in hand, I got into a conversation with a friend that just happens to be a workshop instructor. She advised me to add information on the basics like casting on and off and the stitches knit and purl. My immediate reaction was to justify this omission. After all, it was a first knitting pattern book not a how to knit book. With a smile, she re-stated her advised and changed the subject. Later I began to think just why I was recoiling at the very thought of adding this information. Usually I have a reason. I knew the reason I gave her was lam. So what was the real reason? Slowly it raised it's ugly head. You see knitting is such a part of my life that describing how to knit was like attempting to describe how I walk, talk or breathe. I would have to slow down and analysis each and every step. The idea overwhelmed me. I challenged myself to attempt to do so. I wanted to present a through, well-written description of each process. I am very pleased to say I reached my goal. I can't wait to show the final (underlined three times) manuscript to my editor. I can't wait to share the book with you.

Happy Lunar New Year!

Happy Presidents' Day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home