Thursday, March 08, 2007

Dear Mr. David Demchuk

I read your article in the spring issue of Knitty: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring07/FEATspr07KLM.html
All I have to say is, "Right on!"
...but of course I will say more.

I remember my own garter stitch scarf. It was one of the shortest scarves in knitting history. Talk about "B-o-r-i-n-g!!!" Given a choice I think I would have knit anything else. But that is one of the points you made in your article: there is no choice. Knitting something mind numbingly boring is the novice knitter's trial by fire.

We, knitters, believe we swing the door wide open to welcome any and all would-bes. The truth is we don't. Would-bes must pass this test.

Why?

Simply because the selection of first projects is severely limited. Yet it doesn't have to be. I have taken action to stop this madness. I am in the process of compiling a learn to knit pattern book that will not only teach the basics

-stitches: knit, purl
-techniques: casting on and off, decreasing, making fringe, I-cording
-finishing: weaving in ends and mattress stitch

but also offer sixteen must-knit patterns. All of these patterns are worked using the same type of yarn (worsted weight) and the same size needle (4.50 mm/ US 7). They were designed to appeal to a variety of tastes.

Novice knitters are not cookie-cutter. First projects shouldn't be either. The trial by fire must end and it will.

And leave it to me not to look at the calender.
Happy International Woman's Day to all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home