Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Becoming a knitwear designer

In March I began my mentorship through the association of Knitwear Designers. I was thrilled to have someone help me develop my skills. I firmly believe that all professionals should continue to develop their skills. Learning should be a life-long pursuit.
One of the books my mentor suggested I read was Deborah Newton's "Designing Knitwear". I ordered the book through The Needle Arts Book Shop (www.needleartsbookshop.com) I can't recommend this book shop more highly. My book arrived as a present: carefully wrapped, tied with ribbons. Marsha White, owner, even included a beautiful poem:
The Prayse of the Needle
To all dispersed sorts of Arts and Trades
I write the Needles praise (that never fades)
So long as children shall be got or borne,
So long as garments shall be made, or worne,
So long as Hemp or Flax, or Sheep shal bear
Their linnen woollen fleeces yeare by yeare;
So long as Silk-worms, with exhausted spoyle
Of their owne Entrailes, for mans gaine shall toyle:
Yea, till the world be quite dissolu'd and past;
So long at least, the Needles use shall last;
By John Taylor (1580 - 1653)
Thus, even before I flipped the first page my reading experience was off on the right foot.
I sat down simply to skim a couple of pages. I ended up reading the first chapter. I felt Deborah Newton was talking directly to me. I feel like I have made a new friend. Her writing style combined the beautiful drawings and pictures make this an irresistable book. It doesn't hurt that some of the points she makes would be the points I make: "Don't feel that you have to knit with the "proper" needle size for a given yarn, that is, the one suggested on the yarn's band. ...Instead, knit a swatch that looks and feels good to you, which you'll find by experimenting with various needle sizes." (page 14)
So, if you want to try your hand at design for the first time or have been a knitwear designer for a few years I encourage you to log on Needle Arts Book Shop and meet Deborah Newton. Happy reading!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home