Sunday, June 04, 2006

About my wrists

The pain in my wrists started when I knit for long periods of time. "Experts" say to rest your wrists for at least ten minutes after every hour of work. "I didn't have time to do this" I told myself "and besides the pain stopped once I finished knitting." I bought a tenor bandage and carried on. Not smart - you say. No kidding - I say.
It's important to state here that doctors have recommended knitting to arthristis suffers. Bare in mind, however, they do not say, "Knit for as long as you can without resting."
Now I have the wrist pain even when I am not knitting. The pain is especially bad when the weather is chilly and wet as it is today. On the pain scale, the pain is rather mild but it is still pain.
Fearing that I would have to terminate my knitwear-designer career if I did not act, I began weight training yesterday. I have attended gyms in the city. I joined a execrise group when I moved to Mayne Island. The group I joined is run my volunteers. The price was right $2 per visit or $10 for a month. Being volunteers they are not demanding. Everyone gets out of it what they are willing to put in. Yesterday I meet a qualified personal trainer. I was apprehensive. The "city" personal trainer had been forceful, demanding, cold. She set me straight during the introductory meeting: she was the dictator and I was her piece of meet. Needless to say, I was not eager to return to this scenario. On a small island you tend to run into people. I had run into the personal trainer and she had been friendly, funny and nice. Still I had not meet her as a personal trainer. All through the session I was braced for her to scream, demand, or to force. Nothing. Instead I found a friendly, flexible human being. She did not view me as a piece of meet but rather someone who had asked for her support. It was plain to see that she was willing to use her knowledge to help me. In short she was the polar opposite of her "city" counterpart. I was relieved. I am confident that I have come to the right person. She will help me build my knitting muscles. I look forward to future visits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home