Friday, February 24, 2006

Would you like to play a game?


A Yarn Game

Material: a ball of yarn
Group size: more than 2 less than 20

This is a fun introduction game. I am unsure of its origin. I hesitate to say I invented it.
First step, ask the group to form a circle. This game may be played while sitting or standing.
You, being the leader, begin. While holding the yarn ball, you say, "Hi my name is Leanne and I like lopi wool." Now pass or toss the yarn ball to the next player. Ensure that you are still holding the end of the yarn ball. The next player must say your name and yarn choice as well as introduce themselves and supply their yarn choice. They continue to hold a strained of the yarn while tossing or passing the yarn ball. On it goes until everyone has participated, the list of names and yarn choices has grown very long, and you have created a yarn web linking everyone together.

Variations: Instead of asking for your favourite yarn you could ask for your favourite: yarn colour, stitch pattern, needle size, type of needle (circular, double pointed, straight), type of project, and the list goes on.
If you have an active group you may also encourage players to pass/toss the yarn ball in a variety of ways. Some examples are: with your chin or through your legs.

Who said play was only for children?

PS When I played this game with my knitting group they looked at me like I was rather odd. However, after awhile they all got into it and we all had tons of fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home