Monday, February 20, 2006

Knitting a scarf

My first knitting project was a scarf. No surprise there. Ask five knitters what their first project was and I'm guessing three of them will say "a scarf". Even though I was living in Manitoba were scarves are handy pieces of apparel knitting a scarf was last on my list. When I cast off the scarf measured 30" in length - one of the shortest scarves in history. It barely went around my neck once. Frankly, I was eager to cast off when the scarf measured 15". I continued the next 15" under protest. So why did I choose it as my first project? Simply put, knitting a scarf was a requirement of my 4-H knitting leader. Really it wasn't her fault either. Knitting a scarf is a right of passage for most new knitters. The theory is if you introduce knitting by knitting a scarf the new knitter will be buoyed up by their success. However, the powers that be did not factor in boredom. This is why I have chosen it as my personal mandate to design exciting scarves. Witness my latest attempt:The "side pocket" scarf.
Do you see were the scarf is looped through well there is another loop on the other end as well. I intend to sew one side of these loops closed thus creating a pocket. Pretty cool, eh?
This scarf or one like it will be entered in North by North West's scarf exchange: http://www.cbc.ca/nxnw



Thank you for helping me to feed my blog. I will answer each and every email as soon as I can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home