Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Later today or tomorrow

I apologize if you kept logging on yesterday eager to read my next blog entry. It never came ...but it's here now.

My Salt Spring Island adventure
I arrived on a Saturday and through a tangle of ferries and buses plus a long walk I eventually ended up at my aunt's. There I knit, weaved in ends, knit, sewed seams, knit and knit some more. It was a nice visit.
Then on Monday I packed all my belongs and went to...

Mahon Hall
Don't let the "ho" fool you. It is pronounced "Man". I hate to tell you how many years it has taken me to finally tackle that one. I still find myself pronouncing "Ganges" "Gaines". Why? I have no idea.

As I reached the side door, I was greeted by a bulletin board. On the bulletin board were posted a collection of notices.
One read...

It's rather blurry. Sorry about that. In a nutshell it announces a Victorian Christmas celebration to take place on a number of different islands. One of the islands is Mayne. Ironically, I had heard nothing about the event on Mayne. (now the island is riddled with posters) For those who would be interested in attending: it will be held at Mayne Island's Ag hall on Thursday, December 4th at 7 pm. One day before WinterCraft in Mahon Hall on Salt Spring Island opens.

Inside Mahon hall looked like this...

a promising canvas.
I unpacked my inventory, stored it and then spent three hours arranging and re-arranging. Around lunch time I was in need of some serious rest and food. So, I left Mahon Hall and went across the street to the information centre. There I saw...

I tried not to drool.
Now, you would think, seeing as I travel to Salt Spring Island at least twice a year, that I would be able to navigate without assistance. Sadly, this just isn't the case. This small island girl is just too overwhelmed by the big sister island. Luckily, the information centre was very helpful. They even offered to tend my suitcase. This I was very grateful for - it allowed me to explore a bit.
I found this...
beautiful bird

I ate at this charming restaurant.


The tree house has always been one of my favourite places to eat. They have such delicious soups and sandwiches. I'm sure what I choose was not exactly on my IBS diet plan but I took a risk. The service, the mouthwatering meal, everything was just prefect and best of all my digestive system let it pass.
After my meal I did a little more exploring. Salt Spring Island has one of the most beautiful harbours. It's a very fascinating place to stroll. If you're ever by that way do yourself a favour and explore. It's free.

Then home I went to Mayne Island.
I didn't go back to Mahon Hall. So, sadly, this means that I won't witness the magical transformation. I left further work in far more capable hands. However, I do invite you to visit the hall. It will, no doubt, be full of treasures.
In case you are wondering, I am planning to post this month's pick of the litter. In case you are wondering, I am referring to this month's readers' choose of my writing that appears on my Author's Den page. I am planning on posting it tomorrow. Or maybe the day after... Island time does exist, I set my watch by it.
Craft show Yesterday I gave you to understand that there was a craft show next weekend. Well, (thankfully for me) the craft show is not next week end but rather the week end after that December 13th at the Ag Hall (I think although I will check) on Mayne Island (this I know for sure : ) )

1 Comments:

Blogger Monica said...

Leanne, we have some events listed, including the Victorian Christmas on http://www.mayneisland.com/calendar.html

Good luck with the craft fair.

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home