Wednesday, November 26, 2008

My confession

When some knitters talk about knitting, I'm reminded of a fire and brimstone preacher. There is he standing at his pulpit, his fist pounding hard as he roars, "Read your Bible. Live like a Christian." In his eyes, you are a Christian if you believe what he believes and if you behave like he behaves. If you don't then you are a sinner.

Fire and brimstone knitters’ hold fast to the belief that knitting is a competitive sport: their goal is complete mastery of the craft. In their eyes, this is a knitter. If you don’t hold to this code then you are not a knitter.

Non-knitters take pleasure in garter, seed, rib stitches. They choose to knit on two straight needles. They enjoy knitting scarves.

Knitters believe that if only non-knitters were smarter they would repent. They would knit lace. They would enjoy knitting on four needles. They would enjoy knitting socks.


Well, even though I knit for four hours most days (some days more – some less), I’m a non-knitter. I’m doomed to live out my days as a non-knitter. I have found a different way and firmly embrace it.



No, I didn't knit these. I bought them last week-end.

I know my confession will shock some of you especially considering the fact that I call myself a knitwear designer. I apologize and hope that you can try to understand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home