Wednesday, January 11, 2006

You and Hank: transforming a hank into a ball

"Okay, Leanne, I have a grasp of the basics. I know how to cast on, cast off (bind off), knit and purl. I want to knit with wool. How do I start?"

Meet Hank
A Stitch n' Bitch book (sorry can't remember which one - I glimsped at it at the bookstore) recommends draping hank over a chair or another person's hands.

I have a romantic vision of a young knitter with her suitor. At the beginning of the courtship visit, she drapes hank over his hands. The suitor sits there, the perfect gentleman, as she wraps. Thus Mom can rest at ease knowing that Hank has everything under-control.

I don't use any of these items. "My method" is simply me and Hank. A friend cautioned me against this method. She offered to lend me her fancy stand. She warned me that I would end up with a tangled mess if I insisted in doing it "my way". A tangled mess is an ever present danger. The key is to remain calm and treat Hank gently.

I spread Hank over my knees. You need to make sure that hank makes prefect loops. If you don't maintain these loops you will end up with a tangled mess.
I find the ends. I prefer when wool manufacturers wrap the ends through the skein. If they choose to tie the ends together I am forced to use scissors. The danger is cutting the wrong piece of wool. I then make a few loops.
I coil more wool around these loops. Once there is sufficient yarn I fold it in half and continue to wrap in that direction.
Eventually, believe it or not, my wrapping begins to resemble a ball. And I end up with, drum roll, please a...ball.
I can now begin to knit.

Hope this post has been more helpful than scary.

Tomorrow: All the yarns I have loved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home