Saturday, January 07, 2006

Exploring novelty yarn


Allow me to start this post my admitting that I myself have been seduced by the novelty yarn. Also allow me to say that I am not against knitting with it. I am not among the knitters who reject it out right. I know the beauty it can bring to my knitting. The scarf above features novelty yarn trim.

However, you do have to learn the basics of walking before you can dance. This is why I will not recommend this yarn to a beginner. In fact, I will scream at the top of my lungs: BEGINNER AVOID IT! Let's face it is very expensive simply to throw out. Knitting is hard enough to learn with out throwing this yarn into the mix. Okay, I can hear you: "Prove it". I intend to you. Lend me your ears fine knitting beginner.

Exhibit one: Novelty yarn on the left and easy knit yarn on the right.
Exhibit two: Novelty yarn on the needle.
Exhibit three: Easy knit yarn on the needle.
Exhibit four: Finished novelty yarn sample.

Question: Can you point out an individual stitch?

Exhibit five: Finished easy knit sample.

Question: Can you point out an individual stitch?

I rest my case.

So which is the easiest yarn to work with:

light colour

tight, evenly spun


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home