Thursday, December 29, 2005

Two sharp sticks

All the magic begins with the sticks. Ask a group of knitters which type of stick they prefer and you will no doubt receive a variety of answers. Circular Needle: Legendary knitter Elizabeth Zimmerman popularized it. Many knitters would work with no other. To get the circle out, run your hand up and down the length of it several times. For more on circular needles: http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/circular.html
I used a circular needle to knit the neck on "When the Meadowlark sings".
Double-pointed needles: Many knitters use a set to knit mittens and socks. I use two to knit I-cord. I have taught you this technique in December 6th post.

I used two double-pointed needles to knit the streamers on "Islandia".

My weapon of choose is the straight needle.

I have even worked out a method to work in the round on two straight needles. I promise I will share this technique with you in future posts.

Knitting needles are made of four materials: metal, plastic, wood and bamboo. I was taught to knit with a pair of plastic needles. I have knit with them for several years. They are light weight and yarn slips of the needle easily. However, I find sometimes the end pops off the top. As well over time, the needle bends.

You can't bend metal needles but they are hard on your hands.

Wood needles are warm to the touch but can give you splitters. Sometimes the size of the needle can be hard to see. Check the size using your gauge checker. (More on gauge checkers in future posts.)

Bamboo needles are expensive but very fine. I have a pair of Lantern Moon's which I will never part with.

Making my own needles is something that has always intrigued me. I had a pair made for me. However, the combination of baby yarn (which is the only yarn I had on hand) and these particular needles was not good. The yarn got stuck on the needles never to come off. I had to throw the needles and yarn out. Now I would use them with homespun yarn for much better results.

I once meet a guy who had made a pair of knitting needles from two broom handles. He used his needles to knit a log carrier.

If you would like to make a pair of knitting needles, here is a helpful site: http://www.3gcs.com/adcock/free%20patterns/handmade_knitting_needles.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home