Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Wool

Some of my designs developed with wool. "September's Promise" designed with Meadowmists' Ragg wool.
"40 below" designed with Three Bags Full's 70% llama/30% wool.
"Safe Harbour" designed with Shepherd's Cottage's Lopi wool
"Fair Wind" designed with Shepherd Cottage's Lopi wool.

As well check out:
"Islandia" designed with Shepherd Cottage's Lopi wool.
"When the Meadowlark sings" designed with Three Bags Full's wool.

I have known the joys wool can bring. When I close my eyes, I can still visualize my first encounter: how it looked on my needles, how it felt in my hands, its aroma. It is the stuff of dreams.

I am enjoying reading this book.

The author, Claire Crompton, has much to teach - I have much to learn. However, I do not learn by swallowing large chunks of information. No, instead knowledge like fine wine should be savoured, considered, and sipped. I was doing just that until I encountered this passage: "When you are learning to knit, start as you mean to go on - choose a 100 per cent wool yarn; it is easy to work with, can be unravelled and reused, and whatever you knit will look gorgeous." (page 9)

I simply don't agree.

You see, I firmly embrace the "KISS" theory (Keep It Simple Stupid or Sweetie ...which ever you prefer). When in the process of learning I do not like to pile it on. I want to learn the basics and then proceed from there. Other things can be left until tomorrow.

Wool requires special care. You must learn to form a ball from a hank. You must learn how to block your work. You must learn how to launder it. Knitting is hard enough to learn without piling on these lessons.

On the other hand, synthetic yarn does not require blocking. It is sold in a form that you can begin to knit immediately (Although, it is advisable to make a ball for reasons that I will point out in future posts.) Synthetic yarn is easily laundered - simply machine wash and dry. Knitting with synthetic yarn is knitting without baggage.

Beyond these considerations are those of price. Wool generally is far more expensive than synthetic yarn. If you are not sure you are a knitter why break the bank on wool.

Still wool has its allure. There is nothing like knitting with it. However, it is a pleasure best left for the advanced beginner and beyond.

Tomorrow's post:

You and Hank: how to transform a hank into a ball.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home