Saturday, January 14, 2006

Yarn band: dye lot number

My finance knew I only knit scarves.

And yet, when I asked, "What do you want for Christmas?"

The reply was, "A curling sweater hand knit by you."

I'll show him I thought. I will knit that sweater...with Mom's help.

As Christmas quickly approached the sweater reached completion, then we discovered our shortage of yarn. No trouble, I thought, I'll buy more. When I showed Mom the yarn she asked a simple question. "Did you match the dye lot?"

"Match the what?"

"The dye lot. It's a number listed on the yarn band. You match the numbers to ensure no unwanted colour stripes. Here bring me the bands and I'll show you the number."

The number under COL is the dye lot number. Match this number.
Some yarns do not have a dye lot number. All of these yarns are dyed at the same time so the theory is that no number is required. Sadly, like all theories, sometimes it has no bases in reality. When buying yarns with no dye lot number, buy more than enough yarn for your project.
"I don't have them."

"What do you mean? Where are they?"

"I threw them out."

"Oh, Leanne..." She said disappointedly and then quickly added. "No trouble. I think these colours match."

Sadly, Mom was wrong. It was a beautifully knit sweater - love in every stitch. My husband still wears it. However, he has been given clear instructions. 'NOT OUTSIDE THE HOUSE.'

Lesson learned: match your dye lot numbers

and keep your yarn bands.

Want more?

'What information should I look for on the yarn label?'

http://www.patonsyarns.com/faq.php?PHPSESSID=6797ee63734166f796ca218418814856#4

Tomorrow:

Martin Luther King, Jr. 's day: he was an example to the world.
May his dream be lived throughout the world.

Topic: Yarn weights

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home