Friday, January 13, 2006

When good yarns go bad

Island life develops within residents a strong sense of community. We care about each other. If you have "it" and someone else needs "it" or could use "it" you share "it". This means rides or even yarn. Yes, yarn. A knitters' paradise. I have been the benefactor of this generosity. I use this collection of yarn to knit my prototypes. Each prototype then goes through a rigorous test - my wear and care.
I fell in love with this fingering weight yarn. So I decided to temporarily abandon my passion for worsted weight. It did not take long to wake the muse. You see each year I am surrounded by beautiful urban woman during my hubby's office Christmas party. Each year, inspired by this event, I design something stylish. If the prototype passes the test I add it to my design collection.

This beautiful wool was to become a knock-them-out-of the park cardigan.

I planned, knit, blocked and wore the cardigan. I was very pleased.
Now common thought states: wash your garment before wear. For some reason I did not...thankfully.

Wash day after the party, I gently hand washed the cardigan. Then I lay it out to dry...my heart broke.

Have you ever seen those eggs which when immersed in water swell to double their size? Well, this is what happened to my cardigan. It grew and grew and grew in length.

The label says, "Hand wash carefully in soap flakes. Squeeze gently." I did this. "Short spin. Do not leave wet. Ease back into shape. Dry flat." Oh my gosh! I skipped all steps expect "Dry flat." Do you think if I washed it again magically my beautiful sweater would return? Or is it lost forever?

Lesson learned: always, always follow care instructions on the yarn band.

Tomorrow: ...more on yarn bands.

More knitting help on the net:

www.theknitstitch.com

http://www.stephthornton.co.uk/knitting/knitmain.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home