Thursday, January 12, 2006

All the yarns I've loved

First, I am using the word "all" not to refer to when I began to knit. My memory of each individual yarn I encountered, unfortunately, does not stretch back that far. I do remember that I began to knit with acrylic yarn beyond that I am afraid all is lost in time. So when I say, "All the yarns I've loved" I am referring to when I began to design: 2002. Currently, summer knitting calls. I would highly recommend organic cotton by Ecoknit. I used this yarn to design Seeded Stitches Shell This yarn knits up beautifully. It is available from Infiknit: http://www.infiknit.com/searchcc.php?y=1&fiedl=YarnsByName&sub=Ecoknit
I continue to enjoy designing with acrylic. I find that this yarn especially lends itself to baby sweaters: simply machine wash and dry. I used Paton's 'Canadiana' to design Puddin' Pie
http://www.patonsyarns.com/product.php?LGC=Canadiana

I used Paton's 'Astra' to design Pets http://www.patonsyarns.com/product.php?LGC=astra

I always receive compliments when I wear Bunny Hug. The name came from a discussion I had with hubby.

I said, "I think I want to design a kangaroo jacket." (the term Manitobians use for hoodie)

Hubby said, "What? Oh, you mean a bunny hug." (the term is how a person from Saskatchewan refers to a hoodie)

Well, I simply loved the name. I thought it was so cute! So to honour my hubby and the prairies I named my hoodie Bunny Hug: a small slice of Canadiana. Bunny Hug was designed with Paton's Decor http://www.patonsyarns.com/product.php?LGC=decor

unfortunately, the colour is now discounted. I do like their barn red. I would be interested to hear what you think.

Safe Harbour is so easy to knit. It simply is garter and seed stitch. The goal when working with garter stitch is to find a stable yarn. Acrylic yarn knit in garter stitch tends to grow. However, Shepherd's Cottage's lopi wool is prefect. Shepherd's Cottage introduced me to wool and I am enternally grateful for this introduction. http://www.raosefarm.info/salesPage5.htm

September's Promise was design using a Mayne Island Ragg wool. In fact, the fibre producer is my next door neighbour. ...just across the road. I can't tell you the joy it brings to this prairie rural gal to simply look across the road and watch Joyce's sheep grazing on the meadow.

Our model is the owner of one of my favourite places to shop on Mayne Island: Sunny Mayne Bakery. You can't beat their muffins. I treated myself just yesterday.

Please check out Joyce's web site at: http://mayne.gulfisland.com/meadowmist/products.htm

Speaking of the prairies, 40 below was designed for a prairie fibre productor, Three Bags Full, from Craven, Saskatchewan. My in-laws have informed me that Craven is about the same size as Eriksdale, Manitoba. Eriksdale is my hometown: where I was born and raised. We (they) have a population of about 300. If you count the surrounding farms and all the cats and dogs the population grows to 1,000 which is the size of Mayne Island during the off season. However, we grow to 3,000 in the summer. So we win (or lose depending on your view point).

Anyway, getting back to yarn. Cathy, you remember my neighbour who was knitting the hats for her family for Christmas, reports that everyone loved them. She said that to reduce fuel costs a wool hat is ideal: simply wear them inside. Thanks for the tip Cathy.

You can buy the yarn together with the pattern in kit form from me. Simply go to the "Accessories" page of www.oknitting.com

Tomorrow's post:

Now that we are friends I think I can confide in you. So tomorrow's post will be a tragic tale of when a good yarn goes bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home