Sunday, December 25, 2005

Report from the Yule log

This is a long one...so hold on to your hat.
Recently I learnt something interesting about blogs: sometimes you write posts for others and sometimes for yourself. December 23rd's, although it took me a while to realize, was all for me. I wallowed in self pity and grew from it. I realized that I can't live in reverse. In life, you have to go straight ahead. So that's what I've been attempting to do since then.
December 24th, 2005
Hubby spends a large portion of his life on ferries ...and to face facts...he's not wild about it. However, he knew I wanted to see my relatives on Salt Spring Island and so he tried. Oh my gosh he tried. We got to the ferry twenty minutes early. We boarded the ferry like nice little ferry passengers.
(Okay, so, the ferry was moving)
The ferry was late pulling into dock. No problem, we can make the connection. We can make the connection? We re-read the ferry schedule. There is no connecting ferry at 1:30 pm - the connecting ferry left at 1:00 pm. Huh? We phone said relatives and report the sad tale. Said relatives are disappointed the meal was lovingly cooked and baked and waits for us in vain. Hubby suggests we replace a home-cooked meal made by talented cooks with sandwiches from Subway: two meals you don't get around our place. So we do. We sit in the ferry terminal and fill our sad, disappointed faces. Hubby suggests we top our meal with Roger's chocolate - I love this man. So we do. Sliding up to the counter I am greeted with, "Aren't you Olavia? I love your patterns. Especially your baby sweaters. They are so cute!" What a rush. Turns out she works part-time at Patricia's Yarn Cabin in Sidney. So floating on cloud 9 I board the ferry. On the ferry I meet the cutest two year old (an estimate) girl. "knit-TIN'" she calls out each time she runs past with parent in pursuit. Obviously a future frogger, I reason. I make a mental note to make finger puppets to store in my purse for these occasions. We finally dock at home-base. We rush home. I quickly prepare supper so we can see the tree.

(Pretty neat special effect photography, eh?

Want to learn my technique?

Mix excitement with nervous energy and throw in shyness.)

Each year on Mayne Island we have a community Christmas tree and bonfire. It is a chance to meet and greet fellow islanders. We bask in the heart of island fellowship. Too soon it is over. I say too soon because it started at 6pm - we got there half an hour late. What I keep forgetting each year is that there is free food served at a local hot spot. Much better food than anything I could prepare may I add. Yeah, he knew my skills before he married me. "For better or worse." My meals are improving. However, I'm a vegetarian he likes meat - need I say more. Hubby busies himself wrapping presents when we get home. He walks into my studio with a huge smile across his face, "Do you want to open one present early?" He queries. Has he read December 23rd's post? "Yes!" is my reply. He hands me one gift from the huge and heavy bag he carries. Carefully oh so carefully I unwrap it BINGO! more chocolate. Now there is only an hour until he faces his final test - church. I go to church. (I may add I go to church not because I have all the answers but rather because I need help finding some ... maybe I don't need to add that.) He doesn't. However, two times during the year - Remembrance Day and Christmas Eve - he makes a concession. He sings the hymns and listens to the sermon. I sit close. He is my family. So from me and my family to you and yours "Happy Holidays!"

Holidays:

Kwanzaa: December 26th to January 1st http://www.officialkwanzaawebsite.org

Chanukkah: December 25th to January 1st http://www.jewfaq.org/holiday7.htm

Christmas: December 25th http://www.santas.net/aroundtheworld.htm

Ukraine Christmas: December 25th or January 7th http://www.brama.com/art/christmas.html

Boxing Day: December 26th More on this in tomorrow's post.

(This is as close to a white Christmas

as Mother nature could give us on Mayne Island.

...and as I write the sun has just peeked through the clouds.

Yet another Spring day on the beautiful isle of Mayne.)

Thank you for reading this long post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home