Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Twisted

Secrets, we all have them. One of mine is hidden behind this cupboard door. Are you ready? In a moment I will reveal it. Brace yourself. Please don't think less of me.


Lint. Yes, lint. Why? I don't really know. It's not like I set out to collect it. And yet after every wash day the pile grows bigger. I once had grand plans of sharing it with the birds. Lint nests in the trees beautifying our island thanks to me. I have never followed through on my plans. I have never filled the birdfeeders left by the old owners either. Why? Because I like birds ...so do my three cats. I like them in an "aren't they pretty flying around, singing" vegetarian sort-of-way. My cats like them in a "nibble, nibble, burp" sort-of way. I don't want to endanger the vulnerable population of island birds.
Say, for example, by distracting the birds with birdseed or lint.
Speaking of lint, this lint maybe helpful in exploring how fibres are twisted together to form yarn.

This is rather full of technical jargon so try to stay with me. The first thing I did was pull the clump of lint apart to form smaller clumps.

I then twisted these clumps together. Try it yourself its fun. If you knit a sweater or afghan with your lint yarn please take a picture. I would love to see it.

Now I will throw my lint away. I promise. See...

Next post: Spun

Today is weedless Wednesday in Canada: Lay down your lighter. Pick up your knitting needles. One day at a time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home