Monday, July 17, 2006

Something special for you

Do you remember this yarn? Here's the story: way back when we were celebrating winter solstice I selected this yarn. My intent was to celebrate the return of the sun by knitting something sparkly. Well, things did not go as planned. I didn't factor in the characteristic of the yarn. It stretched and stretched and then stretched some more. Frustrated I left that project aside and didn't comment on it again until today.
Yesterday I attempted to frog the project. No go. I was only able to salvage a tiny little ball. 'What am I going to make with this?' I thought.
Well, thankfully I did have an idea. I had caught a glimpse of a necklace one of the contestants on that Rock Star show was wearing. That combined with inspiration from Sivia Hardings' designs (http://siviaharding.com) yielded me this:

I felt so clever. Hubby's response, "That's just I-cord and a tassel." I think he thought I was Great Aunt Margaret. Well, of course, he is right. Smart guy he must be married to a knitter. : ) Of course what all this boils down to is if you can work I-cord and know how to make two tassels you can make this neck piece.

If you don't, don't worry. You can always read (12/06/2005) "Making I-cord". And today, drumroll please, I will teach you how to make a tassel.

Cut lengths of yarn. Not sure how long. It's like measuring flour you just know how long. Let's say about 24". I cut ten lengths. Five for each end of the I-cord.
I then thread the yarn through the end of the I-cord.
I ensured that all ends where the same length. I then tied a square knot near the end of the I-cord to secure the tassel. If your tassel is too long you may cut it.

So there you have it. You now know how to make a tassel.

I can sleep at night knowing that I have not given you a free pattern. You clever knitter have figured it out yourself. Moreover, I have directed you to a fellow knitwear designer's site. Excuse me while I pat myself on the back. : )

Happy knitting!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home