Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Rebellion

Language warning.

A small group of women gather in a kitchen to drink coffee and chat.

Cindy starts, "He stays out all night. Who knows where he goes?"

Linda shares, "She listens to that rap music garbage. Loud. It breaks my eardrums and I'm downstairs."

Brenda joins in, "He is so disrespectful. He calls me an 'old cow' and worse. His teachers all tell me he doesn't listen. But what can I do?"

Ann adds, "First she got her ears pierced, then her nose. Now she has piercings and tattoos all over the bloody place. She even shaved her head. When I say anything she says, "It's my body." I have no say. No say."

Then it's Rebecca's turn, "My daughter knits."

Silence.

Then the room explodes with laughter.

"Ya, I thought the same thing. I though 'a mother's joy a knitter'. I thought we would sail through the teen-age years. No problem at all. Then I started noticing what she was knitting. Let's just say no yarn manufacture was getting rich off of her.
I told her she was sending the wrong message. I told her that guys would think she was a slut. But what does Mom know?"

She is answered by a chorus of, "Nothing."

"Guess what I'm knitting? Come on guess."

She pulls a baby pink something out of her purse.

"Aren't you going to congratulate me. I'm going to be a Grandma."

Copyright by Leanne Dyck on July 18, 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home