Friday, February 13, 2009

New Love

Tomorrow is Valentine's day. It is also the night of the Rest-Q fund raiser. I'm a little nervous and a lot excited. Please keep your fingers crossed for me and for everything to go well. I greatly appreciate it. (Please stroll down to my Feb 10th post for more details regarding this event.)

Now a story...

Most of my relationships were short lived. Lasting only one month or less - usually less. I had no experience celebrating Valentine's day while in a relationship.

Then, I began dating a man in January and we were still dating in February.

This situation put me in a dilemma: what do I do for Valentine's day?

We've only been dating for a month - its too soon to give him a gift. I don't want to scare him off, I reasoned.

A friend disagreed, you have to do something. He'll be excepting it, this friend told me.

I went to a card shop and poured through the cards. Everything seemed too romantic, too committed. I would have to write the card myself, I thought.

Next problem: what do I buy him?

If I spent a lot of money on him that said something about the relationship. If I spent less that said something else.

I know I'll knit him something, I thought.

Well, it was two days before Valentine's day. If I was going to knit him something I would have to knit quick and it would have to be something small.

I know I'll knit him a scarf.

I had been known to crank out scarves quickly.

Secretly I was able to discover what type of scarves he liked. He told me he liked the rib stitch and very long scarves.

How long?

Well, at least six feet.

Six feet...six feet...how could I knit a six foot long scarf in two days?

I knit as fast as I could as long as I could and the scarf measured four feet, five feet, six feet. I made it.

I was so excited. I slipped my card between the folds of the scarf and wrapped it in red tissue paper.

He picked me up. We arrived at his apartment. He had prepared a candlelight dinner. There sitting beside my plate was a single red rose and a cute, tiny little teddy bear.

He had cooked...he had shopped...he had gone to all that trouble for me? My heart beat fast and I melted.

What happened to that boyfriend?

Well, I married him.

He was wearing the scarf I knit when he proposed.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

Oh, so sweet! Thanks for sharing. My hubby proposed to me when we'd been going out three months: I was going to live abroad for a year and he came out to see me every month! Cost a fortune but it was worth it - We're still happily together and married, 7 years on...

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home