Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A light dusting

The snow did come and in fact is still coming. When I woke this morning I noticed that the road had a light dusting. At the time the falling snow was too fine to notice. Since then the snowflakes have increased and decreased in size. However, they still insist in their flight. Although, Hubby thinks they do want to stay in the air. : ) You have to laugh or you will cry.

Please go here http://de-conversion.com/2009/01/27/my-journey-into-and-later-out-of-christianity-introduction/ and read a very interesting blog post. I'll wait here.

Reading it has inspired me to write this...

I have tried to keep my religion a secret. Like a secret agent I loomed among friends and strangers alike with my mouth shut. As a teenager, I had learned that to proclaim my Sunday activities wasn't "cool" and in fact would draw ridicule. So I remained mute but I continued to attend.

It has only been recently that I have timidly begun to reveal my true Christian identity. I have tried to be respectful of my audience. My intention is not to convert or even to spread the good news but simply to be true to my own heart.

I don't initiate these conversations. I simply reply.

Sometimes my comments have been meet by heavy signs. This reaction prompts me to hide once again in the shadows.

However, to my surprise and delight, mostly my comments have been meet with understanding. Who I am, who I really am was only a secret to myself it seems.

1 Comments:

Blogger Donna D said...

Thanks. I agree, we should not have to hide our true selves whether we are believers or unbelievers. I believe we all have more in common than we often acknowledge. One reason I love knitting is that it brings so many different kinds of people together. I've been at knitting retreats that had Christians, pagans, agnostics, atheists, buddhists, Jews and people who are "not religious, just spiritual" all in the same room enjoying one another's company. Where else can you see something like that happening these days?

Donna

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home