Monday, August 18, 2008

Come with me to the Mayne Island Fall Fair

Pictures speak louder than words

Welcome to the fair...
Mayne Islanders are always happy to help lost tourists.


Let's have a parade...



My friends and I were very impressed with how well these two RCMP members marched together. The member on the left will soon be moving away from Mayne Island, he will be replaced by the member on the right.


Following the RCMP were the bagpipers from Pender Island. They stirred the soul. I love bagpipes. ...and no, I have no Scottish blood...that I know of...


My friend Louie clowing around on his bike.


Wee Mayne Islanders, parents and leaders of the Mother Goose group.



The Mayne Island Community Chamber of Commerce float. In the pen were kids, goats and Joyce. You think they had fun...yup


Our friends from Rest Q. http://www.restqsanctuary.org/Remember them...they need your support. They do very good things for abandoned, neglected and abused animals. Donate time, donate money, donate... You'll feel good about it.



Recycle, reduce, reuse...Mayne Island's recyling depot.



Buy, consume, recycle...this float says it all.



And I can't tell you how glad I was to see this car in the parade. You may recall that I mentioned a quilted car that was in the quilt show. I was annoyed because I ran out of batteries for my camera and was unable to take a photo. Well, Judy gave me a second chance and this time I was ready.





Dance to your own drum beat.



Each September Mayne Islanders come out in a huge mass to raise money for the Terry Fox fondation. They were their to remind us...September is coming.







My friend Celia said, "Oh, I didn't know Mayne Island had a red hat society?"
I said, "What's the red hat society?"
She didn't have time to explain and so I googled. Here's what I found...





TOPS is a weight lose program that has helped many Mayne Islanders.













Each year the parade grows bigger and more impressive. It makes me proud to live on this island.
On to the fair...
On the Ag hall grounds there were tons of things to do: play games: eat delicious food; learn about island associations and services; say howdy to neighbours...
and listen to the awards being presented.
Inside the Ag Hall
Awards were presented for...
Baking


Plants and flowers

Art


Knitting


My children's sweater won a second prize ribbon.


My caridgan won a first prize ribbon.

There were other categories...but those were the important ones...IMHO
There was also an interesting exhibit on island history at the museum. This year the focus was on the Japanese pioneers. Briefly - maybe too briefly - the Japanese pioneers contributed much to Mayne Island. They were hard working and so employeed many of the white pioneers. During the second world war, when they were removed from the island the white residents suffered: few jobs and the school had to be closed due to fewer students. Unfortunately, very few Japanese families have returned. Although, their influence is still felt. Mayne Island has established the Japanese gardens to honour their memory.

And thus the sun set on the beautiful isle of Mayne


Oh, yes, and the exciting news. My learn-to-knit pattern book Yarn Therapy (pictured above) is now sold at Miner's Bay Books. My hand knit items (children's sweaters, scarves) are for sale on Mayne Island at the Coastal Creations.
Hope you had as fun a weekend as I. Write to you soon.










0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home