Tuesday, September 05, 2006

I'm back - it's back: knitting class

Travel back in time with me to August 31st. I am packing for my long week-end. I am working on the last sleeve of Hubby's sweater. I consider packing an additional ball of yarn. I reject this idea immediately, "Surely I have sufficient yarn."

September 1st: The sleeve is 3/4 complete when I run out of yarn. Further, I have just found the prefect yarn for my next design. I can't buy more yarn for Hubby's sweater because I do not have the dye lot number. I refuse to buy additional needles or stitch holders because I have both in abundance at home.

September 2nd: I run through options. I hit on the perfect solution: I will use a piece of yarn to hold the stitches. I carefully wrap the stitches completely around the yarn. Think: casting off each stitch.
I then cheerfully cast on my next project: a baby sweater.

September 3rd: I work quickly and complete two sleeves and half of the back of the baby sweater.
I examine Hubby's sleeve and realize that I can't remember which piece of yarn is holding the stitches. I attempt to determine which yarn it is by giving a tug. This results in the stitches grasping the yarn very tightly. Too tightly. Will I be able to retrieve the stitches? Stay tuned.

September 4th: I work merrily on the baby sweater and complete the back. I then begin working on the front.
I flatly refuse to even look at Hubby's sweater.

Lessons learnt:
always bring a stitch holder as well as extra yarn and needles.
when desperate, use a constrating colour yarn as a stitch holder.

Tomorrow: more on my trip to Chilliwack.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home