Thursday, April 13, 2006

Shared Yarn

When we (hubby and I) go "off island" we are armed with a long list of must does and must gets. Mayne Island has it all in natural beauty but in terms of commercial goods and services we are happily lacking in some areas. In order to accomplish all our tasks we must be well organized. There is no time to dilly-dally. We are a little out of our environment in more ways than one. Have you ever seen an islander rush? Its not pretty. : )
Anyway, so there I was rushing through one of those big box stores on my way to my personal paradise (the yarn department) when I encountered a "learn-to-knit" display. The table was carefully laid out to attract any and all "would-bes". The kindly senior knitter had a twinkle in her eye. You could tell she was delighted by her role as knitting guide. Carefully laid out on her table where the usual projects: scarf, blanket squares, and dishclothes. The instructor and the projects just did not match. She was excited and interesting - the projects were boring. I, knitwear designer, wanted to apologize to her. I wanted to pledge to her that I would design fun, interesting projects as her teaching aids. ...but I was in a hurry. I found the beautiful purple yarn, we shared a smile and away I ran.
...but I will remember her. I will keep my pledge. I will write a book that is full of exciting, interesting "first" projects. It may take a while but I will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home