Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Please don't copy

Okay, I can understand why crafters "share" craft items. There is a philosophy of "I help you, you help me" sisterhood in our community. ...and besides we reason, "Who does it hurt?" I use to think this myself...before I became a designer. Now I know who it hurts. As a self-publishing designer, each time I see a photo-copied pattern I don't see the pattern instead I see a poor starving designer. Contrary to popular belief, we designers do not drive expensive cars nor have pool boys. ...well, maybe some do but I don't know any. The philosophy of sharing your talent for the benefit of the crafting community does not pay the bills. This has been a steep learning curve for me. I still find my inner voice whispering, "just share". Yet, I know if I do so I know that soon I will be out of business. I know if knitters "share" my patterns with friends they will not be buying patterns from me. If my patterns are not bought I will end up out of business. So, this is a friend's request, "Please don't circulate my patterns by photo-copying them. Further, if a friend offers you a photo-copied pattern please refuse it." This said, it is permissible to photo-copy patterns for personal use.
Okay, end of rant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home