Wednesday, April 05, 2006

your map


Do you take a map when you travel? So do I...now.

I had traveled from Winnipeg to Eriksdale thousands of times. Always as a passenger never as a navigator. Still my boyfriend insisted that I must know the way. Like a homing pigeon, all I would have to do is find my way home by traveling in a straight line: Eriksdale is directly north of Winnipeg.

We knew we were in trouble when through the blizzard we read the road signs: welcome to Rosser. Rosser is on the boarder between Manitoba and Saskatchewan. We had traveled diagonally.

In knitting as in traveling, it is wise to know where you are headed. Your road map is the pattern. Read it. In fact, before you cast on one stitch read it straight through. While you read, ask yourself:
-do I understand this pattern?
-is there anything missing?
-am I capable of following this pattern?

"Happy trails." -Roy Rogers

On the book: I am still savouring the decisions. Careful choice makes for a good read.

Tomorrow: more on patterns.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home