Thursday, February 19, 2009

More books

I devote an hour a day to reading. Its a hour for my muse and I think its a good investment. During the hour I read from three books: a book for spiritual development, a book for educational development, and a work of fiction.

Recently, having successful finished a work of fiction I had the luxury of replacing it. The book I choose was Mercy Among the Children by David Adams Richards. He is a Canadian author and this is a Canadian book. So far so good.

I am very cruel to books. If they don't capture my attention after ten pages (or sometimes less) I abandon them. This book has passed the test.

I also finished the book for educational development. The new book is The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity by Julia Cameron.

I have tried to read this book before. I have failed. I think the problem was the time - its not a night time read. I also think I wasn't ready for it. I wasn't committed.

Cameron maintains that you must be willing to make a commitment to developing your creativity if you wish her techniques to work for you. I'm on page 34 and have already hit a road block.

The problem is with her techniques. She maintains that the reader must commit to an artist date.

What is an artist date?

Basically, it is a weekly date with yourself. The goal of the date is to do something (anything) that will feed your muse.

No problem here, I read for an hour every day. My muse is growing fat on this hour.

The problems lies in the other technique. The problem lies in what Cameron describes as the morning papers.

What are the morning papers?

Well, basically, you must write three pages each day. Three pages on whatever you want to write about as long as you write three pages.

Writing three page before I start to work on my blog, my novel, or any other piece of writing...crazy!

Do I really need another writing committment right now, I asked myself.

No, was the response.

So, what to do? Should I toss the book aside? Or should I waste my time writing these morning papers?

I tried. I tried on February 16th - I wrote a page. I tried on February 17th - I four lines. I didn't have time for anything on the 18th. Today, today I finished my three pages.

Tomorrow, I may fall off the wagon again. On February 19th, I may write three words or more or less. All I know is that today I wrote three pages and I feel great.

Write on,
Leanne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home