Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Peace

Canadians are a peaceful people: no war has taken place on Canadian soil. This does not mean that we are not aggressive: witness any hockey game. The fact that no war has been reported does not mean that no war has taken place. I, myself, took an active part in one.

I clearly remember the day war broke out in my home. It pit brother against brother. My parents, the truce makers, were away for the day. Although, I was no older than six I was immediately recruited to manufacture weaponry.

The war tore my home apart. The living room became no man's land. My oldest brother and I sought refuge in Mom and Dad's room. The enemy attacked us from the "Boy's" room.

I quickly began manufacturing weapons. I tore long strips of paper, rolled these strips into balls and ensured these balls were kept moist.

We fought valiantly. Until I realized I had to go to the bathroom. This meant I had to sneak across enemy lines. I made it safely into the bathroom. Unfortunately, they nabbed me just as I was leaving.

I knew all was lost for our side. How could my brother fight on against such a cunning and impending foe? Indeed witnessing my brother's violent defeat could be one of the reasons I am a pacifist today.

Copyright by Leanne Dyck on August 16, 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home