Monday, July 24, 2006

Pages

Writing a book had always been a goal ever since I wrote my first one. My first book was about five pages long and featured a cat sitting on a mat, as I recall. I was the illustrator and author: a mean feat for an eight year old. Yes, I wanted to write a book but the task seemed daunting. Now that I was an adult I realized that my readers would not be satisfied with five pages. I also realized my artistic limitations. So a comic book was out. A chapbook at 50 pages was a possibility. Still 50 pages! How could I write 50 pages? So writing a book became my unattainable goal. Or so it seemed.
My attainable goal was to improve my writing. I clearly laid out my objectives to obtain this goal.
Ask any writer any where: "How do you improve your writing ability?"
The answer can be summarized by one word, "Write."
Daily writing: I had made this pact before. Many journals still remain empty because I did not hold to this pact. Problem was I had only been accountable to myself. It was easy to find excuses to let it slide.
Then I heard about a web log. A blog was perfect. Now I was accountable to the world. Of course, if your blog is never read who cares. However, to my amazement mine was and is. I now have a readership that I can't let down. I have a commitment to up hold. I have been posting daily since November 9, 2005. That's over 200 posts. I must confess some days I have let things slide. Some days I was eager to post and nature rudely stopped me. On the whole I am proud of my success. I am also humbled by it. You see I know that without you I would not have made it this far. Without you peeking over my shoulder I would have no doubt given up on blogs as well. So to you I owe much. Thank you.
Looking back over these posts I realized that I had the making of a book. I was shocked to realize that I had reached my unattainable goal. With your help and support, I have made it. I hope you will continue to log on. Who knows where we can go from here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home