Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Proper knitting: how to make a slip knot...how to hold your yarn and needles.

I'm back...ready and willing to continue my blog.
What does my Dad's instructions on how to make tea have to do with knitting?
Well...like my Dad many knitters have much to share on the "proper" way to knit.
I'm no different...
Here is how I was taught to make a slip knot.
Begin by holding the yarn between your index finger and thumb.
Take your needle and place it behind the yarn running between your index finger and your thumb.

Draw the yarn down and over the yarn running around your thumb. You have made a knot.

Poke your needle through the hole and go over and grab the yarn in front of your index finger.
Pull the yarn off of your index finger and thumb and you have ...

Was that as clear as mud?

Here is another method.

Wrap the yarn around your finger.
Poke a loop of yarn through and you have...
a slip knot.

Making a slip loop: http://www.knitting.co.nz/site/page_affix/toaffix_learntoknit2/

How to hold your yarn and needles...
This is how I answer this question.

I hold my needles like a pen.

I hold my yarn by wrapping it around the index finger on my left hand.

For another way to answer this question: http://www.worldknit.com/howto/howtoknit/beginningtechniques/holdingyarn.html

So what we learn from this post is that there are many ways to knit properly. Embrace your own.

Tomorrow's post: Counting on stitches.
Much thanks to hubby for taking the pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home