Friday, March 10, 2006

How I learnt the knit on cast on technique


Well, I made it to this morning's appointment but sadly not on my electric bike. It tried but it just couldn't go on.
I am hoping for a happy solution to this problem.


How I learnt the knit on cast on technique...

Hubby and I enjoy attending bluegrass music festivals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluegrass_music) He occasionally brings his guitar. I always bring my knitting.

I am quite a site. My legs dance merrily along with the music while my hands fly through my knitting. On one of these wild week-ends I made quick work of my knitting. So we had to make an emergency run to a local yarn shop. Wanting my new yarn to last I played around with the number of stitches on my needles. How about "24 stitches" no let's try "30" well my experiments caught the eye of a fellow knitter. She politely attempted to teach me a new cast on technique. Surely she didn't fully understand who she was talking to. I learnt THE cast-on technique many years ago from my Grandma. I didn't need a new technique. I was a knitwear designer. I knew my way around a pair of needles. She politely pointed out the advantages of the knit on cast-on technique. I listened with a polite deaf ear. She still didn't understand.

Later alone with Hubby I shared my thoughts on this encounter. His response, "What's the harm of learning something new?" What's the harm of learning something new... What is wrong with improving yourself. What is wrong with expanding your basis of knowledge. Thankfully I saw the same knitter the next day. I was far more respective. I continue to attempt to remain open. To this end, I have recently joined AKD (Assoication of Knitwear Designers). www.pkdg.org


AKD is in the process of changing their name from the Professional Knitwear Designers Guild.

Next post: Double cast on vs. Knit on: the pros and cons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home