Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Counting on stitches

Happy Woman's Day!

After yesterday's beautiful sun-filled spring day, today is a disappointment. The weather can be summarized in two words: wet and windy. I know ... I know we all have our challenges.
Another of mine is casting on more than 90 stitches onto my needles (the cast on method discussed in my next post also makes casting on 90+ stitches easier). My brain just shuts off. I end up counting the same stitches over and over again always getting a different result. My hubby's, "92-95-98", sense of humour doesn't help. It is meet with an icy stare.
So I appreciate tips which make this process easier. Here are three.
The first two I learnt from my Grandma.
This tip uses safety pins. Finding safety pins may be the first problem you face when following this tip. The other might be removing the pins.
Thankfully the next two tips use scarp yarn. Something that you probably can easily find tons of. The last tip I recently learnt from the web.


It matters not which tip you follow, the process is the same. Start by casting on ten stitches then mark this stitch with scarp yarn or a safety pin. Continue in this manner until you have the correct amount of stitches on your needle.

Next post: How I learnt to knit on and other helpful cast on tips.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home