Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Happy solstice

Much like a potted plant, I crave sunlight. Lately, our lazy old sun has been setting earlier and earlier. I hide in my house seeking comfort by artificial means. This lack of sun leaves me feeling listless, lazy, and moody. I feel as my ancestors did: all is lost without the sun.

Latin speakers labeled today as solstice - meaning "sun standing still". After today the sun will slowly but surely return. Pagans marked this date by partying all night long. They wished to be awake to welcome Baal. They erected structures such as Stonehedge and Newgrange to pay homage - to mark the cycles of the sun.

I too will be paying homage by the sweat of my brow. As a knitter, I have chosen to erect my shrine from yarn.

This yarn seems to have caught the sun. It glitters, it shines, it glows. I have chosen mine why don't you choose yours. Bring out your sunny yarns and lets knit.

A Solstice Chant

We are the power in everyone

We are the dance of the moon and sun

We are the hope that will never hide

We are the turning of the tide.

This chant was performed at a Jaiya solstice concert which I attended last year. Please check out this talented Mayne Island group: www.jaiya.ca/firedance. I am a huge fan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home