Monday, April 02, 2007

A study in tension

When don't you follow the gauge guide on the yarn band?
Well, when you want to achieve a different fibre look than what the yarn manufacturer had in mind. Or when the gauge guide doesn't make sense to you.
I usually work Canadiana on 6.0 mm/ US 10. I like the fabric this creates. Really it would take Sherlock Holmes to determine that I took such a needle leap.
The gauge information found on the yarn ball states: 20 sts = 10 cm (4") on 4 1/2 mm (U.S. 7) needles.
Thinking that it may be confusing if I didn't I decided to follow the rules. So I cast on 20 stitches and worked for 4 inches. I achieved...
4 stitches = one inch
Normally what you would do when this happens is go up another needle size. To say, maybe, 4 mm. However, by the feel of the fabric I did not have this luxury. So the kits will recommend using 4 1/2 mm (U.S. 7) needles to achieve 4 stitches = one inch.
Progress has been quick on Muffin. I have finished the back, a sleeve, and the pocket.
We all cheer.
soon: more jpgs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home