Saturday, March 31, 2007

Book: Novelty Yarn - reviewed

My book Novelty Yarn was recently reviewed by the West Coast Knitters Guild. http://www.westcoastknitters.org/

A little biographical, a little fantastic. A little history lesson, a little knitting lesson. These words sum up my impressions of the audio book Novelty Yarn, written and read by Leanne Dyck of oknitting.com....
There is a story on this CD for every taste. Leanne Dyck presents an eclectic mix ranging through historical romance, humour, informative, thought-provoking and quirky pieces. I like that she reads her own work, as I find an author sometimes chooses to emphasize different words than I would as reader. She makes good use of her expressive abilities.
There are 24 individual pieces on the CD, separated by short musical interludes. They give you time to consider what you have just heard before moving on to the next story.
For some reason, I was expecting a technique book (perhaps because that’s the sort of knitting books I often read) and I was surprised when I realized that this was a collection of stories that include knitting. However, there are bits of knitting instruction interspersed in these stories, with plenty of encouragement for new knitters and shared experiences for those who have been knitting longer.
I tend to disagree with the author’s speculations on knitting in ancient or “caveman” times where she suggests that picking up two needles to knit was simpler than creating a needle with a hole. I think that is because we are looking backwards from newer technological states. But I was very interested in her information on historical knitting guilds and knitting in Canada.
I particularly enjoyed the pieces entitled “Voices”, “The Way of It”, “Inches”, and “Without” but the one called “A Spark” stayed with me a long time after I read it. Is “Rebellion” a commentary on the new generation of knitting books appearing on the shelves? You’ll have to read it yourself to decide.
This was a great book to listen to on a rainy bus commute. I think it would be just as good to curl up on the sofa with a cup of tea, your knitting and this CD.


To read more about Novelty Yarn please visit: http://www.oknitting.com/books.htm

To order Novelty Yarn please log on to:
http://www.oknitting.com/order.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home