Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Write

The process involved in pattern writing is markedly different from any other writing I engage in.
Writing prose or poetry may take me a matter of minutes. I am assaulted by an idea usually either before I go to bed or when I wake. I cease my pen and begin to scribble. It pours forth from my pen. Later it is transcribed by the key-board. A copy is then printed for each member of my writing group. On the last Monday of each month the piece is then dissected.
In pattern writing I am not offered this type of reckless abandon. This type of writing forces me to slow down and think. I approach the process as a scientist may an experiment.
I begin with a rough idea. This idea may be captured in words or by a drawing. The idea slowly begins to come to life when I start to knit a prototype. As I knit I keep careful notes. Next I use these notes to knit the final garment. As I knit I edit my notes. Once I am finished knitting I once again edit my notes: proof-reading them to ensure clarity and conciseness. I then produce a final copy of the pattern.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home