Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy Independence Day

Canadians say, "Zed"
Americans say, "Zee"

Canadians say, "gauge"
Americans say, "Tension"

Canadians say, "Cast off"
Americans say, "Bind off"

It just as easily could have been a person from Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver but it wasn't, he was American.
I was sitting in a dark corner of my craft store knitting when he walked in.
He said in a loud voice, "Hello is anyone here?"
I popped my head out of my hiding place.
"Hello" I said shyly.
"I just wanted to tell you that I am impressed with the stock you carry. You have a small store but the inventory is wide." A broad smile across his face.
"Thank you."
"Be proud of what you have. Don't hide. If this was my store everyone within a hundred mile radius would know about it. Believe me. ...but I am just a loud mouth American. I guess."
I would like to thank him. That day he caused me to think. He taught me a lot. I no longer hide. In fact, I am open 24/7 globally. Gosh, I even share my writing with the world.
Canadians try not to stand out. If it is there it will show, we are taught. Like the crab in the bucket, if we forget this lesson there is always a fellow Canadian who will be there to remind you. ....but when you are in business is this wise?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home