Sunday, May 07, 2006

Where was I?

I apologize. It was not my intention to be silent for so long. It is merely the result of computer trouble. My repeated attempts to post yielded me nothing. I'm not even sure this will get through to you. I feel like I am adrift in cyperspace. I want so badly to reach you ...but sadly can not. Please hold on. Please have faith.
Here's goes nothing...
In my last post I promised this post would be about "lengthening a sweater".
I have a long back. Those who have an "average" back length may be thinking, "Big deal?" Ah, you don't know. We of the long back always have a delightful gap between our top and our pants. Crop tops are one thing...but this gap is something else. You "average" backs think its cute to run your cold fingers across this gap. Well, guess what: IT'S NOT!! I would often long for just a few more inches of fabric. This need gave me even more desire to learn to knit. Finally, I would have a sweater that covered my whole back. The trouble is that most knitting patterns are written for the "average" back. I had to learn how to add a few inches. Adding length to a dropped sleeve sweater, I learnt, is not a problem. Carefully measure your back. Then simply keep knitting until you have added those few necessary inches. Ensure that the front and back are the same length. Set-in sleeve tops present a problem. Exactly where do you add those extra inches? The answer: between the waist and the armhole. Of course this also works in reverse for you of the short back. Lucky, lucky you you will be wearing your new sweater before me. Just think of the yarn you will save.
I haven't forgotten the "Mystery Knitalong". I wanted to give you the last installment yesterday. Sadly, that was just not possible. So log in May 13th for a guide on what block fits where. Then on May 20th I will end the mystery by posting a picture of what I have created.
Now I will hit "publish post" and hopefully....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home