Wednesday, May 03, 2006

I'm going home...and other pleasures

I am all for living my life years ahead of the present moment. This strategy has served me well. And I have faith that it will not fail me now.
You see my adult self knows that I am a Mayne Islander. I love the island ways. We travel through life at our own pace admiring the beauty that surrounds us. Talking with our neighbours. Stopping to admire an extremely long slug, watching a deer feast on our plants, or smelling the roses. The adult me delights in this life.
My inner child (sorry) misses home. She wonders what happened to the sky that goes on and on for miles. She wonders where her cousins, aunts, uncles, and brothers went. She even misses mostiques.
It has been over five years since I was last in Manitoba. I have told many that I don't care if I ever leave my island. On the surface this is true. However, little me has stomped her little foot and demanded attention. She apparently has had enough and wants to go home.
And so in 2007 I am headed east.
Not only that but I will also be indulging my "folkie" self.
I was introduced to the Winnipeg Folk Festival by a dear friend. I was naive. I thought I was simply attending a music festival. I did not realize that I would go through a transformation. I did not know I would be shaped and molded and would return changed forever. The Winnipeg Folk Festival is more than a simple music festival it is a community. A family that embraces creativity. To enjoy it fully you have to go with a open heart and mind. You must become part of the community by pitching your tent under the stars. Bugs, sun, rain, soil, trees, grass, and every where music we share it all for four days. Then sadly it is over. In 2007 I will once again share in these delights.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home