Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Happy Iceland Day

One hundred years ago the first Icelander settled in Victoria, BC, Canada. Today in celebration of this event it is Iceland Day in Victoria city on the Vancouver island.
One hundred + years ago my ancestors settled in Lundar, Manitoba, Canada.
Today I will celebrate this event by phoning my auntie Helga.
Recently on a trip to Iceland a cousin found a relative. This relative then traveled to Salt Spring Island, BC to pay my auntie Helga a visit.
Okay, so how Icelandic am I?
I have never been to Iceland. ...but I have visited an ancient Viking village in Newfoundland.
I am not fluent in Icelandic. ...but I do know a few words. I can say, "How are you, dear?" "Talk Icelandic, thank you." "Sloppy pig" "Good night" "Good morning" "Yes" "No"
I have never cooked an Icelandic meal. ...but I have eaten many: Rullupylsa, Brunt Braud, Skyr, Ponnukokur, Vinarterta, Kleinur ...to name but a few.
And I have knit with Lopi wool.
So write poetry and listen to Bjork while you drink coffee and eat doughnuts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home