Sunday, July 27, 2008

Charge those batteries

Yesterday was a whirl of activity as I struggled to get everything done.
I am very pleased that I was able to take in the quilt show. The talent of this tiny island overwhelmed me. It spent my bike and camera batteries as well as my own internal battery. Now fully charged, I am now ready to present my report.

These cute little signs guided my journey to Dinner Bay Park.

Upon reaching Dinner Bay Park by eyes swam.

Present were the off-island merchants who supply our talented island quilters with thread and cloth.



Other tents proudly told of the activities of the Mayne Island Quilt Guide.


They made quilts for Canadian soldiers who were serving over seas.


They teach Mayne Island students in grade five and six the secrets of their craft.



Both boys and girls enjoy creating quilts. This is but a tiny sample.


Also in this area was a tent which featured antique quilt turning. I was entertained by the stories of these treasures.
Then I paid $4 and started down the path to the Japanese gardens.



One of the first quilts I saw was designed and made by a fellow fabric designer: Arlene Neely of
www.rabbitshaven.com


I entered the gates to the Japanese gardens and was immediately treated to...



Then the batteries in my camera decided to give up the ghost.
I apologize for this short tour. I really wish you had been able to attend. You would have thoroughly enjoyed yourself, I am sure. I know I did. I lost all track of time. Words are insufficient to describe the amazing colour combinations and the fine skill that I witnessed. My heart melted over the baby quilts. One quilter even incorporated the baby pictures of her grandchildren into her quilt. Others quilted jackets and hand bags. One adventuresome quilter even quilted a jeep. Yes, you read that sentence correctly a jeep. The same quilter used fishing poles to hang her fish themed quilts. Creativity is a live and well on beautiful Mayne Island.
Mother Nature didn't behave herself, I am sorry to write. She dumped the wet stuff but the resourceful quilters were undaunted. They draped plastic and prayed for sun. Their positive spirit was victorious and all though it wasn't sunny it only rained for a very short period of time.
I am told that over 600 people attended the quilt show: an accomplishment that the guild should take great pride in. Sadly, we must wait another four years to enjoy the next Mayne Island quilt show. Mark your calendars today. I'm sure the next show will even better. Although, I am unsure how it could be. I am comforted that better minds than mine are in charge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home