Friday, November 02, 2007

The toque

One of my neighbours knit her husband a toque. Forty years later he still wears it.
He wears it even though she points out how "ugly" it has become with age.
He wears it even though she repeatedly offers to buy him a new one.
He wears it and points out to her how "special" it is: she made it for him when their love was oh so "new". No new toque could ever take its place.
When she relates the story the buds of teardrops appear in her eyes. It is plain that she is touched, frustrated and dispirit.
She asks me if I can...maybe...make another exactly like it. She warns me that she no longer has the pattern.
I assure her that this creates no problem for me - I mean after all I create patterns out of thin air. She is pleased and hands me the old toque. I set to work.
I am impressed by the creative design. Yet there are a few things I could like to change. I resist the eager. I replicate the toque. Weeks later I hand both toques to my neighbour. She is clearly pleased.
With fresh yarn and eager needles, I set out to re-design the toque. Here is my fresh take on the old classic...










0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home