Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Temptation

Try to avoid it - you know you'll have to face it.

I do have will power. Many temptations I am equipped to handle. However, I do have two weaknesses: food and knitting.

Not all food - sticky, sweet, fattening, rich goodies. Last night I dreamed of cinnamon rolls. You leave that extra cookie or piece of pie at your own risk. When you turn around again it will be gone - mark me. Seemingly at lightening speed it is in my mouth and finding it's way to my stomach. No harm done. Until the next day when I attempt to zipper that new pair of pants.

As it is with food so it with knitting. In my new book Yarn Therapy I write of the importance of the sample swatch. Sample swatches are especially important when you are knitting a garment that needs to fit: say, like a sweater.

Recently, I had this great design idea. I couldn't wait to begin. So I didn't. I have knit for so many years that I feel that I have gained grace from the knitting goddess. No, need for a sample swatch for me. ...for most knitters it is a wise move. Unnecessary for me.

I was working with a new yarn. I did not have previous history on which to draw. Still I cast on 80 stitches and began the sweater. Visions of the unique design danced through my head. I worked 10 inches of the 4 x 4 rib. This I thought would work fine as the sample swatch. I measured and determined that I was on track. All was well so I completed the back: a combination of 4 x 4 rib and seed stitch. I was half-way up the front when I thought: "Why don't I just measure the seed stitch?" Highly unnecessary but why not? Well, I measured the seed stitch part and discovered that it took 5 stitches to make an inch. I had calculated 4. What I had failed to realize is that 4 x 4 rib is stretchy. This feature was perfect for my design. However, definitely not perfect for my sample swatch.

I should have resisted. I should have taken the time to cast on 20 stitches and work these stitches in seed stitch for 4 inches. Then I should have measured carefully. Then and only then, knowledgeable and prepared, I should have begun my new design.

Instead, this is what I did...

rip-it, rip-it, rip-it.

Oh, it hurts - it hurts.

After my knitting was reduced to string, I bagged and shelved it. Later when I am stronger I will face it again.

Heed me, my friend, resist the temptation to dive into your knitting...especially when your goal is to have it fit...especially when you are working with a new yarn. Boyd up that will-power and work your sample swatch. If not, you too shall fall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home