Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Possibilities

Today the sun is shining and the world seems full of possibilities.



Maybe too many possibilities...
You see I have begun work on www.oknitting.com 's autumn offerings. ...a late start. Ideally this work should begin in May. However, I wanted to wait until I had all the inventory for ArtCraft finished. This done I immediately started working on autumn 2007.
It is enjoyable work. Nothing beats the slow unfolding of a new design.
It resembles a maze.
I usually begin with a type of road map. A rough sketch of what the design will look like. This map is drawn after I have researched fashion trends and is a combination of my own desires and the demands of fashion. While working the muse whispers in my ear and so I may continue following my map or listen to the muse. The choice is mine.
Possibilities are endless. What will the bottom of the sweater look like? Sleeves? Collar? Each decision is a turn in the maze.
Sometimes I get lost in the maze. When this happens there is no way out but to shelf the design.
Sometimes when I complete the maze I am not completely happy with the end result. Once again I shelf the design. Hoping that one day my adventures in this maze may lead to a much better outcome.
Sometimes the adventure is a joy: not only do I enjoy my time in the maze but I also grow as a designer. And, of course, the best outcome of this success is that I can wear my triumph.

Wish me luck in my adventures through my current maze.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home