Monday, July 23, 2007

Don't panic

This morning I woke to the sound of the fog horn. As I was half dazed, it sounded to me like it was going off every 15 minutes. It is a romantic sound. When I first moved to Mayne Island I thrilled to the sound. ...but that was before. Before I truly knew what it meant.
What does it mean?
Fog horns sound when the island is enveloped in fog. When the island is enveloped in fog it is dangerous to be on the ferry. Things are hard to see and when things are hard to see you have a tendency to run into them. (Hubby left on the ferry this morning.)
Furthermore, if it is dangerous to be on the ferry then chances are that the ferry may not run. If the ferry does not run then it is hard to get off the island...if not impossible.
Now normally I wouldn't care if I could get off. I am happy here. Frankly there is no other place I would rather be. However, when the fog horn sounds I think what would happen if I had to get off? What would happen if I had to get off and the island was enveloped in fog? What would happen if I had to get off and the island was enveloped in fog and the ferry did not run? My mind races. I begin to panic.
Are you unsure of my state of mind? Imagine you are a knitter and you are faced with this...

What did I do next? Well, I searched for a game plan. A way to calm myself and move beyond my fears. Here is what I found...

1)Stop.
2)Breathe.
3)Think positively.
a)Trust in my abilities to cope. I am an intelligent, capable adult.
b)Trust in my neighbours. Trust that if I need help someone will, no doubt, be there to help me.
4)Roll up my sleeves and work towards a solution.

It worked. Of course it did help that the fog horn stopped sounding and the fog is currently clearing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home